[Spacewalk-list] Cobbler / PXE / tftp

Waldirio Manhães Pinheiro waldirio at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 17:58:37 UTC 2014

Hello Friend,

I'm implementing the PXE with cobbler to execute new installations. The
pre-req is:

Server Side

- DHCP with conf like bellow, assuming my SW be 192.168.56.250
###
allow booting;
allow bootp;
class "PXE" {
  match if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient";
  next-server 192.168.56.250;
  filename "pxelinux.0";
}
###

- Install the package cobbler-loaders
###
[root at spacewalk tftpboot]# rpm -ql cobbler-loaders
/var/lib/cobbler/loaders
/var/lib/cobbler/loaders/COPYING.elilo
/var/lib/cobbler/loaders/COPYING.yaboot
/var/lib/cobbler/loaders/README
/var/lib/cobbler/loaders/elilo-ia64.efi
/var/lib/cobbler/loaders/menu.c32
/var/lib/cobbler/loaders/pxelinux.0
/var/lib/cobbler/loaders/yaboot
[root at spacewalk tftpboot]#
###

- Enable tftp and xinetd, when checking the tftp conf file, I can see
###
[root at spacewalk tftpboot]# rpm -ql tftp-server-0.49-7.el6.x86_64
/etc/xinetd.d/tftp
/usr/sbin/in.tftpd
/usr/share/doc/tftp-server-0.49
/usr/share/doc/tftp-server-0.49/CHANGES
/usr/share/doc/tftp-server-0.49/README
/usr/share/doc/tftp-server-0.49/README.security
/usr/share/doc/tftp-server-0.49/README.security.tftpboot
/usr/share/man/man8/in.tftpd.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/tftpd.8.gz
/var/lib/tftpboot
[root at spacewalk tftpboot]#
###

and the conf. file /etc/xinetd.d/tftp point to directory /var/lib/tftpboot
###
[root at spacewalk tftpboot]# cat /etc/xinetd.d/tftp
# default: off
\
#       protocol.  The tftp protocol is often used to boot diskless \
#       workstations, download configuration files to network-aware
printers, \
#       and to start the installation process for some operating systems.
service tftp
{
        disable = no
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
        server_args             = -s /var/lib/tftpboot
        per_source              = 11
        cps                     = 100 2
        flags                   = IPv4
}
[root at spacewalk tftpboot]#
###

So, to conclude, what I can do is copy pxelinux.0 and menu.c32 from
/tftpboot to /var/lib/tftpboot. After this, works fine.

Ps.: I can't find any package where the file pxelinux.0 is located in
/var/lib/tftpboot.

Ps.: In formal documentation, there isn't any "attention note" about it.

Appreciate your comments.

B'Regards
Waldirio
msn: waldirio at gmail.com