[Spacewalk-list] jpackage generic vs repo

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Thu Aug 13 11:15:46 UTC 2015

On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 04:53:45PM -0400, Infused W JC wrote:
> The instructions use only jpackage-generic.  Where as if you go here
> http://www.jpackage.org/yum.php and download
> http://www.jpackage.org/jpackage50.repo.  You will get the updates enabled
> as well.

Will any of those updates actually update anything on a Spacewalk
installation? I agree that updates would likely be nice to have
enabled at least for potential security fixes.

> The repo also has fc, rhel, etc defined, but not enabled as well.

Which is not that useful because at least for Fedora, the last repo
seems to be for Fedora 14, EOL'd over three years ago. In the past
we've hit multiple issues with dependencies when new updates in newer
Fedora releases broke stuff for bits that came from jpackage, so we've
tried to keep the jpackage footprint at minimum.

> I just wanted to know why the repo is not part of the instructions.

Historical reasons mostly, and not breaking what works. If you are able
to verify that having that http://www.jpackage.org/jpackage50.repo does
not break things on all platforms, it might be worth considering.

--
Jan Pazdziora
Senior Principal Software Engineer, Identity Management Engineering, Red Hat