[Spacewalk-list] Deploy a root password change

Armstrong, Kenneth Lawrence (SYSADMIN) klarmstrong2 at liberty.edu
Wed Aug 26 11:56:59 UTC 2015

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!  We’ll test these out to see what works best for us.

Kenny Armstrong
System Administrator
IS Operations

From: <spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com<mailto:spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com>> on behalf of Kobus Bensch
Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 4:52 AM
To: "spacewalk-list at redhat.com<mailto:spacewalk-list at redhat.com>"
Subject: Re: [Spacewalk-list] Deploy a root password change

Hi

I wrote a script many years ago and still use it to this day.

Here is what I do.
1) I make a note of the current encrypted root password in the shadow file. Just in case I need it.
2) I change the password for root on this server and make note of the new encrypted password in the shadow file.
       THe reaon I do it this way is so I can make sure that the new password works and that I have made not of the unecncrypted password and stored it away.
3) This is where my script comes into effect.
TO use the new encrypted password, make sure any $ signs in the encrypted version have been escaped. Then replace the encrypted password on line 14 between $1": and :"$3 with your new encrypted password.

I do a bit of displaying of files for verification. Plus it gets logged in the Satellite logs.

Schedule this as a script on the relevant servers.

Here it is:

#!/bin/sh

# Written by Kobus Bensch
# kbensch [at] gmail [dot] com
# If you use it, let me know.
# If you make it better, let me know.
# This works for me, test it before you use it in production.
# Any questions, let me know.
# Version 0.5

SHADOW_FILE="/etc/shadow"
cp -v /etc/shadow /etc/shadow-$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)
OLDPWD=`cat $SHADOW_FILE | grep root`
NEWPWD=`cat $SHADOW_FILE | grep root | awk -F":" '{print $1":\$6\$SRXLyEWW\$OOtjSy3lShHGbjHDBnH.QYEm0t.GUaXW1VtoDzV.c8wpIVUBFEtH5YQBQD1FeqQNujyMLwd135kLs8p9O9Y4m1:"$3":"$4":"$5":"$6":"$7":"$8":"$9}'`

echo "Old ROOT PWD = $OLDPWD"
echo "New ROOT PWD = $NEWPWD"
echo "New Shadow"

sed -i "s_${OLDPWD}_${NEWPWD}_" $SHADOW_FILE

cat $SHADOW_FILE

Kobus Bensch

Address:
Phone:
Email:  22 & 24 | Frederick Sanger Road | Guildford | Surrey | GU2 7YD
0207 871 3890
kobus.bensch at trustpayglobal.com<mailto:kobus.bensch at trustpayglobal.com>

[https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/tpgemailsig/TrustPayGlobal-email+footer.png]