[Spacewalk-list] Some CentOS/EL6 Packages show up for EL7, and some EL7 for EL6

Ricky Boone ricky.boone at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 21:55:17 UTC 2015

My apologies for starting a new thread... there appears to be an
existing thread going on here, but I just subbed to this list, so I
can't reply to it yet.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/spacewalk-list/2015-December/msg00024.html

I think I see similar behavior with my system.  The issue was prompted
by a coworker that noticed some odd yum errors when he was trying to
update one of his systems.  When I looked into it, the update was
trying to install EL7 packages on his EL6 system.

The Spacewalk server is running version 2.3, on CentOS 6.7, but has
been upgraded from Spacewalk 2.2.  All of the repositories were
created by spacewalk-common-channels while on 2.2.  All of the
repositories are one-to-one with their respective channel (CentOS 7
Updates x86_64, etc.), with no repositories being linked to other
channels.

When I search for el6 under Packages in the "CentOS 7 Updates
(x86_64)" channel, there are currently 142 matches, ranging from
autocorr-af-4.2.8.2-11.el6_7.1:1.noarch to
openssl-static-1.0.1e-42.el6_7.1.x86_64.  Alternatively, when I search
for el7 in "CentOS 6 Updates (x86_64)", there are 134 matches.  I have
not checked all channels yet.

My suspicion is that there was something going on with the
mirrorlist.centos.org site, sending requests for one release to the
other, or that one of the mirrors had the wrong release listed for the
wrong URL, etc.  I can't prove this, but that's all I can think of at
the moment.  When I manually browse some of the sites returned, they
look okay.

I'm going to try removing the offending packages and manually running
a sync... and do a couple spot checks to be sure that none of them
somehow ended up on the wrong platforms.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.