[Spacewalk-list] Antwort: Re: Upgrading SLES 11 SP3 to SP4 results in broken systemid-Files

Lichtinger, Bernhard Bernhard.Lichtinger at lrz.de
Tue Dec 1 14:13:06 UTC 2015

Hello,

> But this must be an error between the different spacewalk agent versions
> while updating.

No, I don't think so. During our upgrades from SP2 to SP3 in 2013 we had the then actual versions running.

> I deployed a new server with SLES11-SP4 (and the new spacewalk agent from
> SLES11-SP4), which works without a problem.
>
> So the errors seems to be in the change from md5 to sha1 and that maybe
> the wrong "string" is stored either within the db or within the systemid
> file.

It is definitely the transition from md5 to sha256 checksums:
Today I reactivated a SP3 client before the upgrade to SP4, so the client got a certificate with a sha256 checksum.
Then after the upgrade everything worked as it should: The client requested a new certificate because of the os-release change and got a new working certificate with sha256 checksum from the server.

Regards,
Bernhard