[Spacewalk-list] Clone channel management for monthly patching

Sam Sen ssen at ariasystems.com
Mon Jan 5 21:06:23 UTC 2015

I know there isn’t a perfect way to handle this but here’s what I’m trying to accomplish.

I would like to freeze a channel each month in order to patch our group of hosts. I have a parent channel, let’s call it “CentOS 6 Updates.” At the end of each month, I would like to clone this channel and call the new channel “CentOS 6 2015-Jan.” At the start of this, it should be pretty easy. However, how do I go about creating the February channel? If I clone from the original channel “CentOS 6 Updates,” wouldn’t it also have erratas for Jan? I don’t want the January erratas because they should’ve been applied earlier.

Also, I suppose I’ll need to script this along with the part of modifying the channel association for my machines to point to “CentOS 6 2015-Feb” after each new clone channel is created.