[Spacewalk-list] OS release not reporting correctly

Avi Miller avi.miller at oracle.com
Wed Jul 22 21:16:09 UTC 2015

Hi,

> On 23 Jul 2015, at 3:57 am, Clegg, Larry E [HDS] <Larry.Clegg at hdsupply.com> wrote:
>
> Today I converted an existing OL6.2 system to Spacewalk and upgraded it to OL6.6.  I use a conversion script that has been deployed on 200+ systems without issue….until today.
> This particular system reports as a Redhat Linux system instead of an Oracle Linux system.  In the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid file it clearly shows the Redhat information.  On all my other systems the systemid file shows the Oracle Linux information.

It's because Oracle Linux identifies itself as Red Hat Enterprise Linux so that 3rd-party installers which check for RHEL are able to run on OL as well.

Though, can you be more specific about where you're seeing Red Hat vs Oracle Linux information in Spacewalk? In my install I see Red Hat information for all my Oracle Linux boxes, regardless of when or how they were registered. It's something we'll be looking at later, but we haven't actually made any modifications to Spacewalk to address this (yet).

Feel free to take this offline as well, as this is an Oracle Linux specific issue (not really a Spacewalk issue).

Thanks,
Avi

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Avi Miller | Product Management Director | +61 (3) 8616 3496