[Spacewalk-list] Disk usage jabberd log files

Linder, Rolf Rolf.Linder at united-security-providers.ch
Tue Jun 2 09:02:05 UTC 2015

Hi all

Just in case anyone else did once struggle with a lot of jabberd log files within "/var/lib/jabberd/db" (has been discussed on http://www.redhat.com/archives/spacewalk-list/2011-March/msg00033.html) but was not able to cleanup any old logs according berkley db log file removal (https://web.stanford.edu/class/cs276a/projects/docs/berkeleydb/ref/transapp/logfile.html), here's the way we go:

# berkley db maintenance (transaction log cleanup)
55 20 * * 0 /usr/bin/db_checkpoint -1 -h /var/lib/jabberd/db && /usr/bin/db_archive -d -h /var/lib/jabberd/db

That is not the official way of doing this, but we discovered that on our server there were no checkpoints written and thus we were not able to remove logfiles without a complete db removal (https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1199153 -> you have to cleanup your jabber-clients too). The small crontab entry above will write a checkpoint and afterwards remove the logfiles (without the active log) and your disk usage is under control.

Kind regards,
Rolf Linder