[Spacewalk-list] System checkin after reboot

Michael Calmer mc at suse.de
Fri Jun 26 07:09:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 25. Juni 2015, 18:00:42 schrieb Klaas Demter:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to use an action chain that includes a reboot but after the
> reboot a system takes ages to continue with that chain. It seems the next
> actions are only picked up with the next rhn checkin that (depending on the
> configuration) can take 4 hours :)

Correct.

> The System is pingable via osad. So the
> question is, is that a behaviour that is intended? Shouldn't rhnsd or osad
> once they are started check in and pick up the latest actions? :) I can
> work around the problem simply by calling an rhn_check after network is
> ready but thats an ugly fix :)

In the past the reboot action was "successfully finished" as soon as the
action was picked-up and the "shutdown -r 3" was scheduled. This was wrong
because the next action would directly fetched and applied before the real
reboot happend. In worst case the action was aborted because of the reboot.

So we had to find a way to finish the action after the reboot is done.
The only way is to keep the action in state "picked-up" and wait for the next
checkin where the uptime gets an update.

To workaround the "4 hours" problem you described I send a patch a long time
ago with a tool which does the checkin during boot.
A checkin without fetching the next jobs to prevent executing actions while
the system is not yet fully up and running.

This patch/tool was not accepted. AFAIK the idea was to change rhnsd to do the
first checkin directly on start, but this was never implemented.

--
Regards

	Michael Calmer

Michael Calmer
SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
T: +49 (0) 911 74053 0
F: +49 (0) 911 74053575  - e-mail: Michael.Calmer at suse.com