[Spacewalk-list] Caching RPMs on Spacewalk Proxy

Sam Sen ssen at ariasystems.com
Wed Apr 6 10:37:08 UTC 2016

I'm using the rhn_package_manager and have a question on how to use it properly. Two things I noticed.

I placed a couple of RPMs in a temp folder. I run the rhn_package_manage command with the --cache-locally and --dir pointing to the location of the RPM folder. I run yum update and the test client takes a long time to download the package. This command appears to have csche the RPM into /var/spool/rhn-proxy/<random ID>/package_name/RPM_PACKAGE

So then I ran it again with --cache-locally and the RPM package was saved in /var/spool/rhn-proxy/package_name. Installing the package on the test client works very well.

So two questions:

1) what's the point of the --cache-locally? Why would I use that option?

2) the proxy resides in our Euro data center. I'm not able to rsync the folders from our master spacewalk server in the US. It takes way too long. So my question is, when running the rhn_package_manage command, do I really need the RPM files stored locally? I ask because in the man pages, it makes mention of passing the package(s) name via stdin. I wasn't sure where the RPM files would be coming from.