[Spacewalk-list] Entire Packages are downloading over the Client side over 800MB for OEL5 Latest Repo [SpaceWalk2.5]

Avi Miller avi.miller at oracle.com
Fri Aug 5 15:22:05 UTC 2016

Hi,

> On 4 Aug 2016, at 9:36 PM, Malla Reddy Madupu <mmreddys at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> We are facing an issue with slow repository build for all the OEL5.x clients. Inf act client is building 800MB of xml files as below mentioned.

This is a known issue with the OL5 (not OEL) latest repository. It's HUGE. We are working to separate out the actual latest packages, but currently it stores every single version of every RPM ever released for OL5 since initial GA. It's about 15000 RPMs or so. It really should be called "everything" not "latest" :)

Also, since Spacewalk doesn't generate the SQLite databases, they have to be created by yum during first run. This includes creating the entire file and errata metadata databases. It would be great if Spacewalk could generate these on the server so that they don't have to be done by the client. We've noticed that OL5 machines running as VMs in particular have an issue with the amount of I/O generated during this process.

So, it is something we're aware of and are working to address on our end. In the meantime, if you have a CSI and ULN access, I strongly recommend syncing with the ol5_u11_base and ol5_u11_patch channels instead of ol5_latest, which are significantly smaller.

Thanks,
Avi

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Avi Miller | Product Management Director | +61 (3) 8616 3496