[Spacewalk-list] FW: What does ULN gives you that standard oracle public yum doesn't

Avi Miller avi.miller at oracle.com
Sat Aug 27 19:51:52 UTC 2016

Two points I'll make while I'm on leave and not really checking email. :)

1. There is no purposeful delay between ULN and the public repos, beyond the sync process to our Akamai mirrors. In practice, this can be between 1-4 hours.

2. ULN is fully supported with Spacewalk, both in our build and upstream. We document specifically how to create ULN-based repos and how to provide ULN credentials for the sync process.

Other than that, ULN has additional channels that are not available on yum.oracle.com. Some contain non Open Source software. I usually advocate a mix of both, depending on your needs, as yum.oracle.com can be faster (as it's served by Akamai), but ULN can be more efficient by using the base/patch channel combos.

Shameless plug: I'm doing a hands-on lab at OpenWorld 2016 that covers all this on Spacewalk 2.4. If you're attending OpenWorld, you should come check it out. :)

Sent from my iPad