[Spacewalk-list] Possible BUG: Requested packages have already been installed on CentOS 5 clients

Coffman, Anthony J Tony.Coffman at snapon.com
Mon Jan 18 15:14:54 UTC 2016

I ran into this one yesterday unexpectedly.

It seems there may be a bug in the SW 2.4 client that seems to only affect EL5 clients.  I tested this on CentOS 5 i386 but not on x86_64 yet.  I haven't seen it on EL6, EL7, or SuSE.

When you scheduled a package install/update action, you get this back

Client execution returned "Requested packages already installed" (code 0)

The 0 return code makes it look successful but no package changes are made.   Because of the change to spread out errata cache processing over time you can easily be fooled into thinking that you have successfully applied updates when in reality nothing was actually applied.

The requested packages are not actually already installed.

I rolled one test system back to the 2.3 client manually and it does fix the issue.

Has anybody else run into this problem?

--Tony