[Spacewalk-list] How to trigger errata warnings for testing purposes?

Eric Herget eherget at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 12:41:27 UTC 2016

On 07/01/2016 03:30 AM, Robert Alsdorff wrote:
> Hey,
> I'm testing Spacewalk with a bunch of CentOS servers. The CentOS 6, 7
> and EPEL 6, 7 repositories are completely synced and I imported the
> CentOS errata data from cefs.steve-meier.de via CLI. EPEL errata is
> synced by Spacewalk itself. My testing servers were nearly up to date
> when I added them to Spacewalk so no errata errors are reported right
> now. Is there a way to trigger some kind of demo report? I tried to
> create an errata myself that flags a random package as vulnerable to
> test the warning features of Spacewalk but did not really understand
> the way erratas work.
>
> Any ideas on this?
> Thanks!

Hi Robert,

I recently joined the Satellite team and am currently ramping up on how
to use Spacewalk.  I happened to be working with Errata functionality
yesterday.  To see the warning notification work I did the following...

At first I had my client system subscribed to a channel configured with
a repo that already had the version of the package I was using to test
(and my client system had an earlier version of that package
installed).  In this case, creating an erratum to identify that version
of the package and associating the erratum with that same channel that
already contained the package did not result in the notification I was
expecting.

Instead, I unsubscribed the client system from the channel containing
the newer version package, then created a new channel and subscribed my
client system to the new channel.  Next, add the erratum to the new
channel.  Since the erratum is the "cause" of the newer version package
getting added to the channel, and since my client system had an earlier
version of the package installed, the notification I expected did occur.

I hope this helps.

Eric

--
Eric Herget | Senior Software Engineer