[Spacewalk-list] rhn_check is generating toomuch I/O hence Spacewalk Client Add took 38 minutes time [ O/S OEL5 version ]

Avi Miller avi.miller at oracle.com
Wed Mar 30 19:51:32 UTC 2016

Hi,

Spacewalk does not create the SQLite databases that yum uses, so the first thing yum has to do is rebuild those databases on the client and this is particularly time-consuming on virtual OL5 guests.

Are these machines subscribed to ol5_latest? If so, I would strongly recommend replacing that channel with a combination of ol5_u11_base and ol5_u11_patch from ULN instead. Those two channels are significantly smaller and will be much easier for the client to rebuild during an rhn_check run.

Alternatively, you can bind mount /var/cache/yum to a RAM disk so that the disk usage is non-existant. This will also dramatically improve performance.

Hope that helps,
Avi

> On 30 Mar 2016, at 8:13 PM, Malla Reddy Madupu <mmreddys at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Guys
>
> Greatly appreciated for your time.
>
> I have a issue during spacewalk client add to the spacewalk master server.
>
> We have staging server where all the VMs are connected to the Oracle SAN storage (Entry Level)
>
> When i am trying to add the client to the spacewalk server, there's too much I/O generating the rhn_check process some times it's writing more than 50M data, this process is mainly reading/ writing kjournald and Audit. because of this system process  reached to 100% waiting 80%. The client is completely not responding hence over the monitoring system HOST DOWN alert appeared.
>
> I have tried with --norhnsd option, still no luck. Is there a way to minimize the rhn_check process? is there a way to stop generating too much I/O?
>
> Could you please suggest some idea here?
>
> But noticed there's a huge difference with the OEL6. it took roughly 5min time to add the clinet.
>
> Guys, pelase help me to address this issue, your help is very much appreciated. Thank you all for you time
> Best Regards
> Malla

Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Avi Miller | Product Management Director | +61 (3) 8616 3496
Oracle Linux and Virtualization