[Spacewalk-list] Kickstart and Config management

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 02:19:23 UTC 2016

On 30 March 2016 at 12:40, William H. ten Bensel <WHTENBEN at up.com> wrote:

> *Deployed*... Does that mean activate/re-activate OR the installation of
> the rpms did not get the files OR an rhncfg-client get failed?

Sorry, I'm not 100% with the lingo yet. Deployed in that context meant
"kickstart install on just provisioned bare metal vm, via cobbler"

> Activate/re-activate should have pushed the files.
> Installation of the rpms by themselves, will not push the files.
>  rhncfg-client get or a schedule through the UI, api, or spacecmd.

Right. Late last week I moved the installation of the rhncfg-* files from
the Configuration Channel to the Kickstart profile "Software" tab, in order
to confirm that the rpms were installed before the Configuration Channel
kicked in?

> This are some of the options you can do in the kickstart:
>
> 1. Ensure that the rpms Avi gave are installed.
>
> 2. This has been part of our default kickstart for years.
> # Per rhncfg-client documentation, the first get or deploy of files can
> fail if this file does not exist.
> # The work around is either reschedule, rerun, or touch the file
> touch /var/log/rhncfg-actions

Ah, I'll try this now. I am putting it into an early run post-install
script - is that what you are suggesting here? OR do you put this in the
Kickstart Details -> Advanced options ?

> 3.  In a %post script, verify all of the files were deployed.
>         for myconfigs in `rhncfg-client list |egrep -v
> "myspacewalk.server.domain|Config Channel" |awk '{print $3}'`; do
>                 rhncfg-client get $myconfigs
>         done

Hmmm. ok - I'll test. Thanks

cheers
L.

------
The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "We've always done it this
way."

- Grace Hopper