[Spacewalk-list] Migrating to a physical

Ree, Jan-Albert van J.A.v.Ree at marin.nl
Tue Nov 15 07:50:22 UTC 2016

We did something similar earlier this year.

However to prevent issues and allow for testing we did things a bit different :

- We installed a new server on which we created all the content we needed (we used a new FQDN so we didn't have to do anything to allow for 2 servers in the same network)

- Then I wrote a migration script which installed the new certificate package and re-registered the machine to the new SW server

This allowed for more control as we did migration per server group and we would never be left with unmanaged machines in the event the migration went wrong.

Your plan to me looks solid otherwise, although before step 1 I'd shut down the spacewalk services to make sure nothing in the database gets changed.

​And you might want to clean up archived actions to make database backup / restore a bit quicker

Good luck

--

Jan-Albert

Jan-Albert van Ree | Linux System Administrator | MARIN Support Group
MARIN | T +31 317 49 35 48 | J.A.v.Ree at marin.nl<mailto:J.A.v.Ree at marin.nl> | www.marin.nl<http://www.marin.nl>

[LinkedIn]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/marin> [YouTube] <http://www.youtube.com/marinmultimedia>  [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/MARIN_nieuws>  [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/marin.wageningen>