[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk - PostgreSQL High I/O

Matt Moldvan matt at moldvan.com
Mon Oct 10 20:48:56 UTC 2016

I had similar issues and ended up first breaking out the database to it's
own VM, then increasing the Postgres debug logs.  I saw that there were a
large number of operations running against the snapshot tables, with locks
and so on being set for a long period of time.  In /etc/rhn/rhn.conf, try
disabling snapshots with:

enable_snapshots = 0

I also did quite a bit of Postgres tuning using pgtune, for 5,000 clients
or so:
pgtune -i data/postgresql.conf  -o ./data/postgresql.conf.new -c 5000

Another thing that may help is installing pgbadger to analyze your Postgres
logs... it has some nice visualizations of the types of queries and tables
involved, which may point you in the right direction if snapshots aren't
the reason for the high utilization.
https://github.com/dalibo/pgbadger

Hope that helps.