[Spacewalk-list] How to improve WUI performance

Ree, Jan-Albert van J.A.v.Ree at marin.nl
Thu Oct 13 15:29:14 UTC 2016

A few things to look at :

- if you have the database and the web frontend on the same machine , 4 GB to me sounds very minimal... PostgreSQL will become much quicker if it can cache more data so you might want to add some RAM (go to 6 or 8 GB and maybe tweak your PostgreSQL configuration a bit) When we were still running virtual the web frontend machine had 8 GB and the PostgreSQL VM had 8 GB, both with 2 cores and things ran fine (granted, with only roughly 70 clients)

- for us OSA became a lot smoother and more stable by switching it's backend from berkeley DB to SQLite ; I'd recommend this step to everybody using OSA. See https://www.redhat.com/archives/spacewalk-list/2011-March/msg00048.html on how to do this.​

- you might want to check if the machine is hitting I/O limits ; tools like vmstat can help a lot

More CPU's doesn't sound like the solution, as only one core is pegged at 100% ; memory, disk I/O and maybe if it's a remote PostgreSQL instance network sound like more likely candidates.

--

Jan-Albert

Jan-Albert van Ree | Linux System Administrator | MARIN Support Group
MARIN | T +31 317 49 35 48 | J.A.v.Ree at marin.nl<mailto:J.A.v.Ree at marin.nl> | www.marin.nl<http://www.marin.nl>

[LinkedIn]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/marin> [YouTube] <http://www.youtube.com/marinmultimedia>  [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/MARIN_nieuws>  [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/marin.wageningen>