[Spacewalk-list] Help setting up Ubuntu channel(s)

Paul-Andre Panon paul-andre.panon at avigilon.com
Thu Aug 3 22:14:31 UTC 2017

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 16:33:08 +0000, Dimitri Yioulos <dyioulos at netatlantic.com> wrote:
>Subject: [Spacewalk-list] Help setting up Ubuntu channel(s)

>Hello, All.

>I'm running Spacewalk 2.6, and would like to manage (specifically, package management) three Ubuntu 16.04 LTS servers with it.  >Unfortunately, extant information on how to do this is rather poor (please don't send me here:  http://www.devops->blog.net/spacewalk/registering-ubuntu-and-debian-servers-with-spacewalk.  I'm hoping someone can point me toward, or >provide, detailed instructions on how to create (a) channel(s) for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

>With thanks.

While it's out of date, the devops-blog.net post is still a good start, but you also need to read the comments that fill in a lot of the gaps. You can also look at my April 12 post in the archives of this list.

That said, the version handling issues in the current 2.6 version that will get addressed in PR 500 are significant (see Robert Paschedag's Jul 17 post in the list archives), so you may want to hold off until 2.7 if it's going to come out soon since it will require rebuilding and re-populating all your channels and repos. Based on past release history we're due for a version release soon, but I don't know what the progress on that is or even where to look for an update/status. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that as I would appreciate an update.

Cheers,

Paul-Andre Panon
Senior systems administrator

Office: 604.629.5182 ext 2341 Mobile: 604.679.1617