[Spacewalk-list] Alternative ways without OSAD

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Thu Jan 12 11:18:27 UTC 2017

On 12/01/17 10:58, Zeal Vora wrote:
> Hi
>
> We use SpaceWalk 2.4 for our Patch Management.
>
> Due to some reason, many of the servers have issues related to OSAD
> going offline time and again so sometimes we just go for a way of
> running rhn_check manually.
>
> So I was wondering, can we have rhn_check in all the servers in CRON ?
> Can it work in this situation ? I had bit trouble with putting it in
> cron so wanted to verify.
>
> If you can suggest any alternatives or better way, it  would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Zeal

Most OSAD problems seem to be related to Jabber DB and SSL certificate
issues.

It can take a while to get these sorted out, I would recommend
reconfiguring Jabber to use a SQLite database and throw out the Berkeley DB.

Careful reading and checking of the following documents can help:

https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/OsadHowTo

https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/JabberAndOSAD

http://git.net/ml/spacewalk-list/2009-07/msg00116.html

Took a bit of searching, but you should have a sqlite DB initialisation
script in /usr/share/jabberd/db-setup.sqlite

Also, if you fiddle (read: delete) with the Jabber DB remember to remove
the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/osad-auth.conf file on the clients, as that seems
to prevent them from trying to register.

Finally, there's a lot of talk of removing databases and making changes
to files, be sure to ensure that jabber owns or has full access to all
the files it needs to (Database, Certs, config files etc...)

It is fiddlesome, but since moving to SQLite backend for Jabber I really
have not had any issues with OSAD since the latest spacewalk release.