[Spacewalk-list] Alternative ways without OSAD

Matt Moldvan matt at moldvan.com
Tue Jan 17 14:03:19 UTC 2017

Depends on the volume of your systems... I tried this as well, but
rhn_check initially makes HTTPS calls and with 6,000+ systems it
overwhelmed the Apache instances and caused deadlocks in the Postgres
databases (even with Apache and pgsql variables increased).

I ended up switching the jabberd database to SQLite and it made a lot of
difference over the default Berkeley DB.

For systems going offline, we have a few lines in our Puppet configs to
restart OSAD on stale connections on a daily basis.  To debug your own
connection issues, I recommend increasing the debug value for OSAD in
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/osad.conf (debug = 9) then restart OSAD, to see if you
can narrow down what might be causing the systems to go offline.  If it's
not at the clients you might be able to find something at the server,
somewhere in /var/log/rhn or so.

        $date = strftime("%F")
        $datetime = strftime("%F @ %T")
        exec { "restart_osad_on_conn_error":
                command => "/sbin/service osad restart",
                onlyif => "/bin/grep -q '^${date}.*Unable to connect to
jabber servers' /var/log/osad && sed -i 's/Unable to connect to jabber
servers/fixed on ${datetime} by spacewalk::c_osad.pp/g' /var/log/osad",
        }
        exec { "restart_osad_on_stale_conn":
                command => "/sbin/service osad restart",
                onlyif => "/bin/netstat -an | /bin/grep -q
':5222.*CLOSE_WAIT'",
        }