[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk 2.1 | SSL Certificate Invalid when using HTTPS for host registration

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Fri Jul 14 11:35:28 UTC 2017

Francis Lee Mondia:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry for this seemingly noob question but I'm new to spacewalk and just
> inherited a system which was not being used for about 2 years and now I've
> been tasked to revive it.

Hi,

First of all I'd suggest upgrade to latest Spacewalk (2.6) because there
were a lot of bugs fixed since then (including security issues).

> So I've got the system running, updated the channels, repos and now came
> the process of re-adding hosts to the system. I was being shown the SSL
> certicate error as I think the certificate has expired. I can register
> hosts fine without SSL, and can push package updates to hosts fine without
> it. I do want to resolve this though moving forward. I've tried the
> numerous suggestions I can find (we have a red hat subscription so was able
> to try their solutions too but none worked).

Install spacewalk-utils package and run spacewalk-hostname-rename script.
It will regenerate all SSL certs.

> I'd also like to know though if upgrading spacewalk to a newer version
> install a new SSL cert. When we first took a look at the system, we

AFAIR upgrade will not change SSL certs.

> couldn't log-in as the satellite certificate was expired and we had to
> generate one from red hat support to be able to log back in.
>
> Hoping for some guidance on this from the community.
>
> Kind regards,
> Francis

Michael Mráka
System Management Engineering, Red Hat