[Thincrust-devel] Fedora Feature Request Appliance Building

David Huff dhuff at redhat.com
Fri Aug 8 14:42:07 UTC 2008

Bryan Kearney wrote:

> Jon Stanley wrote:
>> Being that I'm on FESCo who has to approve this, let me mention my
>> comments here first :)
>>
>> I'm a little unclear as to whether this is a spin, or a toolchain to
>> support creating spins based on a minimal Fedora - you mention new
>> additions to Fedora, but also needing space on spins.fp.o? I'm
>> slightly confused :)
To clarify, Its a little of both.  Tools to build appliance images
(which are basically pre-installed partitioned disk images) as well as
hosted pre-created images that one can dowloand and have up and running
in a virtual container with minimal effort.

> "Yes" :). Today, it appears that a Spin == a  live cd. So, this
> feature is really a set of tools to create appliances. We would like
> to see these hosted along with the live-cds as valid types of spins.
>>
>> The test plan is a little weak - I'm also in Fedora QA. :). I'm not
>> sure what "work with Fedora QA to ensure proper coverage" means :). We
>> don't know anything about your feature, so how are we supposed to know
>> what coverage is proper? :). With that said, it appears that since
>> you're creating bootable Fedora images, you're talking about the
>> release test plan. Unfortunately, with our testcase management system
>> being forever legal blocked :(, all that I can do is point you to what
>> we've got for F10Alpha, which is on the wiki and not nearly as
>> polished as we'd like:
>>
>>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/TestResults/Fedora10Install/Alpha
>
> David:
>
> perhaps we add the following to the test cases:
> 1) Build image, boot on kvm via virt-image.
> 2) Build image, boot on F9 kvm via firt image (repeat for X flavors of
> Fedora)
> 3) Build image, boot on VMware.
>
> In all cases the expected results are really "It boots, we can log in"

I have updated the test Plan,  It was a little week for lack of me
knowing what needed to be there.  Please review the new test plan and as
always, feedback is welcome.

-D