[Thincrust-devel] appliance-creator, spacewalk and cobbler

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 13:37:51 UTC 2008

Kay Williams wrote:
> I am trying to wrap my head around planned relationships between
> appliance-creator, spacewalk and cobbler. Does the attached diagram look
> about right?

Mostly correct. What we envision is that there is a need to manage the
flow the packages within the dev process of an appliance. So, within
your mirror link.. there should be a means to create a "DEV" appliance
(with repos) and move them through a test / stage / production process
where any of the various lifecycle steps could be on completely
different machines / networks.

> Is there any thinking for cobbler to handle updates in the future, in
> addition to provisioning?

Not updates from cobbler. But given the repo management tooling which is
in there I could see cobbler having functionality to migrate packages
from one repo to another. Once there is a yum repo, yum would take care
of the rest.

> Perhaps these things are still under discussion.

Yes! Any comments are appreciated.