[Thincrust-devel] How to create a new appliance?

Sharad Mishra snmishra at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 19 23:33:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

      I am trying to understand what will it take to create, deploy and
activate a new thincrust appliance. Do you think following steps will work?

1. Install prerequisite virt tools (libvirt-python, virtinst etc.).
2. Install appliance-os.
3. Install appliance-tools
4. Create a kickstart file for the appliance.
5. Build appliance from kickstart file.
6. Launch the image using virt-image.

      Will the above steps generate puppet recipe file? If not, How do I
create one. If yes, Which step created it.
      I guess the recipe file needs to be installed on the appliance
machine. How does it get installed there?

Thanks
Sharad Mishra
System x Enablement
Linux Technology Center