[Thincrust-devel] USER STORIES --type

Joey Boggs jboggs at redhat.com
Fri Sep 12 16:39:16 UTC 2008

comments inline

David Huff wrote:
> Bryan Kearney wrote:
>> Joey Boggs wrote:
>>> Only allows 1 disk in a kickstart currently, anymore will fail.
>>> Working on the virt-convert scenarios next.
>>
>> I testted it and got the error below. Couple of comments
>>
>> 1) If I specify the --appliancetype then is the format, vmem, and
>> vcpu items ignored? Huff, based on our chats yesterday should this be
>> --type
>> (to prep for package, ovf, vmware etc)
>>

> So I started to summarize our conversation from yesterday, where we
> decided that there should be a --type flag that sets/overrides all
> other options for that type.  Below are some of my thoughts form the
> discussion.....
>
> Valid types would be, KVM, XEN, VMARE, EC2.
> Overwritten options are, DISK FORMAT, META-DATA FORMAT, VMEM, VCPU,
> PACKAGE TYPE
> Package formats can be: TAR, ZIP, OVF, other
>
> When I started thinking about implementation I started confusing
> myself,  the existing tools in this arena are:
> VIRT-CONVERT - converts vmware to libvirt calls qemu-img
> VIRT-PACK - converts libvirt to vmware[1]
I can see what it would take to merge this into virt-convert so we have
one less tool to use.
> QEMU-IMG - converts disk formats
> EC2-CONVERTER - converts libvirt to ec2 appliance[1]
> *as far as I know, nothing exist to package appliance. This could be
> either stuck in appliance-tools or virt-convert
This will be a second cut at it, but requires the ami tools to be
inplace and setup properly with a jre. I'll need to test using our
supplied jre. I believe it does but I dont remember what I set mine up with.

> I thought it might be helpful to start simple with user stories...
> User Stories:
>
> 1. Build a KVM appliance with 512M and 1VPUS, using a qcow2 formatted
> disk image, packed with libvirt meta-data in a zip file.
>
> 2. Build a VMWARE appliance with 512M and 1VPUS in a OVF bundle
>
> 3. Build a XEN appliance that will run on RHEL5, with 512M and 1VPUS,
> with a RAW disk image, libvirt meta-data packaged in a tar.gz bundle [2]
Can add this into virt-convert, I haven't look at the code in while but
it was built to be modular

> 4. Bild a EC2 appliance and deploy to cloud. (lagre small type???)
We still run into the kernel issues in bundling, should we bundle
against the latest available with amazon or have choices?