[Thincrust-devel] How to copy libvirt images to usb/cd so that I can boot them as independent appliance

Kamesh Jayachandran kamesh at collab.net
Tue Sep 15 13:29:40 UTC 2009

On 09/15/2009 05:48 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> On 09/15/2009 07:35 AM, Kamesh Jayachandran wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Sorry if it is a wrong place to ask.
>>
>> I have the appliance created using appliance-creator.
>>
>> When I run it using virt-manager it is *terribly* slow with 1G of RAM
>> dedicated to the guest.
>
> Couple of questions:
>
> 1) Is this slower than other virtual machines you have run?

No I did not try the other virtual-machines.

> 2) KVM or Xen?

I use 'virt-manager' somewhere it shows 'qemu'. I am not sure wether
qemu is part or Xen or KVM or independent of both. Pardon my ignorance
and enlight me.

>> I think of testing it as an independent appliance.
>>
>> My search did not yield good results.
>>
>> I copied the libvirt images to usb disk using 'dd' command, but it did
>> not boot.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> We would need to modify the bootloader of the USB similar to how live
> USB does it. I dont think it is a a slam dunk. Can you try taking the
> same kicksart file and runnig it through the liveusb creator? See if
> that works right out of the box.

I tried it with live-cdcreator and then with liveusb creator.
I suffer from the space issue once I resolve it will let you know.

With regards
Kamesh Jayachandran