[Thincrust-devel] How to copy libvirt images to usb/cd so that I can boot them as independent appliance

Kamesh Jayachandran kamesh at collab.net
Tue Sep 15 14:03:16 UTC 2009

On 09/15/2009 07:05 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> On 09/15/2009 09:29 AM, Kamesh Jayachandran wrote:

>>> Couple of questions:
>>>
>>> 1) Is this slower than other virtual machines you have run?
>>
>> No I did not try the other virtual-machines.
>
> Ok.. so perhaps it is not the appliance itself :)

I could not understand you? Please explain.

>>> 2) KVM or Xen?
>>
>> I use 'virt-manager' somewhere it shows 'qemu'. I am not sure wether
>> qemu is part or Xen or KVM or independent of both. Pardon my ignorance
>> and enlight me.
>
> qemu means you are running kvem _or_ you are running emulated.
> Emulated would be very slow. When the machine is running, execute the
> following:
>
> ps -ef | grep qemu
>
> Tell me what you get.

root      2769 74.3  9.0 787864 185072 ?       Rl   19:10   0:37
/usr/bin/qemu -S -M pc -m 512 -smp 1 -name edge -uuid
4bd947fb-56ed-8158-8a38-a64a2196ce9c -monitor pty -pidfile
/var/run/libvirt/qemu/edge.pid -no-reboot -boot c -drive
file=/home/kamesh/work/appliance/edge/edge-sda.raw,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -net
nic,macaddr=54:52:00:5f:31:c1,vlan=0 -net tap,fd=17,vlan=0 -serial pty
-parallel none -usb -vnc 127.0.0.1:0

> Also.. look at this page:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_virtualization#System_requirements
>

> And tell me if you are can support full-virt or para virtualized guests.

[kamesh at kamesh appliance]$ grep pae /proc/cpuinfo
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe up bts est tm2

[kamesh at kamesh appliance]$ grep vmx /proc/cpuinfo
[kamesh at kamesh appliance]$ grep svm /proc/cpuinfo
[kamesh at kamesh appliance]$

So I guess I have the para virtualized guest.

>>> We would need to modify the bootloader of the USB similar to how live
>>> USB does it. I dont think it is a a slam dunk. Can you try taking the
>>> same kicksart file and runnig it through the liveusb creator? See if
>>> that works right out of the box.
>>
>> I tried it with live-cdcreator and then with liveusb creator.
>> I suffer from the space issue once I resolve it will let you know.
>>

> Great.. I look forward to hearing how it worked.

Rebuilding the livecd again(as my attempt to create a livecd with jdk
again hit the 650M size limitation!),

With let you know.

With regards
Kamesh Jayachandran