[Thincrust-devel] ec2-converter on other distributions

Henry Huang henry.s.huang at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 10:19:56 UTC 2011

Hi, Marek

Thanks for your kind reply.
Here are my comments.

Best wishes,
Henry,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Marek Goldmann <marek at goldmann.pl> wrote:
> Henry,
>
> (We were discussing these issues on IRC, but this also with the list)
>
> On 23 lis 2011, at 07:07, Henry Huang wrote:
>
>> 1) seems difficult to use kickstart config directly.
>
> Kickstart support is not very advertised as it was just a POC. It introduces more issues than solves, so the kickstart support will be removed in the next BoxGrinder major version.
>
>> boxgrinder appl template cannot add post scripts. I noticed boxgrinder
>> actually generated relevant ks and used appliance-tools to create
>> image.
>
> Sure it can. Just inject the script into the appliance using "files" section:
>
>        http://boxgrinder.org/tutorials/appliance-definition/#files
>
> And then execute it in "post" section:
>
>        http://boxgrinder.org/tutorials/appliance-definition/#post

[Henry] Ok, i will go through it, and try "post" section part.
I agree with you on kickstart issues -- to use kickstart file will
restrict BoxGrinder on the Fedora/RHEL/CentOS series.

>> 2) current EC2 plugin could only satisfy a little of my requirements
>> a. multi-partition support & further LVM support
>
> In the early days of EC2 the multi-partitioned images were not supported by *AWS*. All EC2 images at that time were filesystem images as opposed to partitioned images.
>
> This is the reason we went into merging files from different partitions from base disk in to one filesystem in EC2 plugin.
>
> Of course now it's possible to make partitioned disk images working. I'm not sure if it makes much sense to partition a disk on EC2, though.

[Henry] as we know, it is quite easy to attach volumes on EC2
platform. So maybe multi-partition support is not that important.
However, for some legacy products, we need to supply the way on
upgrade or migration (like P2V). it will be valuable to keep
multi-partition support. so does LVM.