Re: TUX and a Java servlet engine

Mark Swanson writes:
>I'm talking about something completely different.

OK, I misunderstood.

>simultaneously connected clients is in non-blocking I/O. I'm assuming
>TUX uses /dev/poll or provides similar functionality .. if it doesn't,

No, it doesn't use polling *at all*.   It queues rich protocol events.

>TUX is probably the wrong approach because from all the data I've seen
>/dev/poll is the only thing that works (vs select() or poll() above 500
>simultaneous connections, which means you are better off with Matt
>Welsh's Java (using Native methods) NBIO library which uses /dev/poll.

TUX deals with events something like this:
 o  Simple, in-cache events are served without scheduling
 o  Simple, not-yet-in-cache events are handled by a cachemiss thread
 o  Other events are pushed off to user space and handled as events
This is similar to RT signals in some ways, except that the events
carry their data and can't get lost from overflow like RT signals can
because there is a protocol engine underneath.

TUX has no use for /dev/poll because it is far more efficient.

This is why the TUX API is so different from everything else out
there.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/