Re: [patch] TUX 2.4.2-P3

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> TUX has a default keepalive timeout of 30 seconds - this is perhaps a bit
> too low. You can change it to eg. 5 minutes:
>
> 	echo 150 > /proc/sys/net/tux/keepalive_timeout

there's a study by some folks at DEC years ago which showed that anything
more than a minute is overkill.  sorry i don't have a reference to it any
more.  i'll see if i can dig something up.

> yep - Netscape doesnt appear to handle keepalives very well. Perhaps TUX
> should just zap the connection instead of sending a RFC-conform 'Request
> Timed Out' reply, in that case Netscape will just retry the request. I'll
> test this now.

netscape is an HTTP/1.0 browser -- AFAIK "Request Timed Out" is not part
of the 1.0 keep-alive specification ...

fwiw, apache never generates the 408 response.  in fact i don't see
anything in rfc2616 which says it MUST be generated (i don't see any
mention of response code 408 except for the short blurb defining it).
clients can't assume it would be generated -- otherwise they'd not
interoperate with HTTP/1.0 keep-alive implementations.  they have to
assume that if they don't get a response back for a request then the
server didn't process it.

-dean