Re: limit in file size?

> > When I do "dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/www/file bs=1024 count=103000"  I
> > (w)get:
> >
> > Connecting to cuddle.dds.nl:80...  <<5 sec delay>>  connected!
> > HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
> > 11:58:04 ERROR 404: Not Found.
> >
> > Too bad, as an uncompressed linux kernel source tree is 106M :-)
> > (and http/tux is a great way to distribute it via 100Mbit)
>
> there is /proc/sys/net/tux/max_object_size, which can be used to limit
> maximum transfer sizes. The default is 100 MB, you can change it to
> ~1000MB:
>
> 	echo 1000000000 > /proc/sys/net/tux/max_object_size

Ai.., I'm affraid that was a rtfm.. Sorry.. It just felt like an error
because of the 5 sec delay and the 404.
What is de reason for such a limit btw? If you don't want files larger
than x, than you don't put them in you docroot don't you? And if you
want to limit other users, they simply split the file up. Isn't this a
file system quota thing?

> > Btw, is it possible to run tux without the tux command, eg start it
> > via /proc? Don't think so (can't find a way), but to ask never hurds.
>
> TUX needs a userspace process 'identity', so it's not possible to start
> TUX without the userspace tools. But the userspace tools are really small,
> so this shouldnt be a problem.

That is true. :-)
Owh, btw, with the userspace tools comes a file docs/installation.sgml
in which is the following:

Installation
This chapter describes how to install TUX

Install the TUX package with the command rpm -Uvh tux-2.0-1.i386.rpm
(modify as necessary for new versions...)

Again, I'm on debian. :-)  And btw, this is the tarball with the
userspace sources so there is no rpm.

make all or make tux will do.

> back in the early days TUX used kernel-space threads too (like
> khttpd), which were started via /proc/sys, but this turned out to be a
> flexibility and configurability limit. (eg. it's not possible to
> support userspace modules that way.)

Oke, thank you for your explanation.

	Ookhoi