From: Jesse Noller [mailto:jnoller@allaire.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 3:25 PM
To: 'guinness-list@redhat.com'
Subject: RE: Red Hat, Speed, and a Web server

Well, it would seem that you should start with Ingo's TUX webserver as
a base, and work on TUX cgi modules and integration with Apache.
RedHat is devoting significant resources to TUX in the form of Ingo's
and David S. Miller's development time, as well as that of several
others who are working on documentation and configuration.  Witness the
generic zero-copy infrastructure that David has prepared for inclusion
in 2.4.x.

<jesse>

	Hmm. My problem is that I am not clear on userland modules for Tux.
Basically, my SPECIFIC task is to builf the fastest base box I can, and then
install an APP server my employer makes to see what sort of speeds I can
get.

	Basically, the app server runs off of an Apache DSO module. Now, if
it was easy to convert and or tie DSO modules into tux so that it can hand
off page translation requests, then I could see this as viable. Now,
seperate of my employer-given task, I will be fully exploring Tux as a
viable STATIC content server.

TUX is under very active development (sometimes multiple releases/day).
The releases are a set of patches on top of Alan's -ac series.

<jesse>
Yep, I am on the tux-list

Go to the Red Hat mailling lists page, read the archives, and subscribe.
If Ingo can make Linux go faster, he will -- he's responsible for many
of the scalability improvements in 2.4.   Just understanding how TUX
gets its performance (event model, page cache, irq affinity, zero-copy,
etc.) is a good starting point.

<jesse>
Thanks, makes sense!

An actively maintained website with a knowledge base and a bunch of
optimized RPM's for server tasks would be a blessing.

<jesse>

Yes, I thourghly planned on making a site dedicated to this. I just don't
know how fast I can put it up, or if I can maintain it on my own. I had
planned on making the site something along the lines of
http://speed.rootmonkey.com (I won the domain, don't bother, there isn't
anything there).

-Jesse