can't create /proc/sys/net/tux/*

I don't seem to be able to create the files needed in
/proc/sys/net/tux/.  The /etc/rc.d/init.d/tux startup
script echos to /proc/sys/net/tux/* but the files
aren't created.  Tux starts and complains about not
finding the files and exits.  I tried using
/etc/sysctl.conf but it says net.tux.compression is an
unknown key for example.

I read the list archives and contacted the other
person who had problems creating /proc/sys/net/tux/*
and he said he never solved that problem.

I'm using the /etc/rc.d/init.d that came with
tux-2.1.0.tar.gz, running redhat 6.2 with valinux
extensions and kernel 2.4.9 patched with
tux2-full-2.4.9.bz2.

Any help would be appreciated.