Machine hanging again

This time the subject is changed from "Tux hanging again" to "Machine hanging again" :-)
It stuck today again. I could switch between logon-screens on the terminal, and even write my login-nick, but when I pressed enter the password-prompt never came up.... No disc-activity at all. Probable because Linux wants to write to some log when you try to logon?

After a hardware-reset (I never tried ctrl-alt-delete, damnit..) the Adaptect 19160 found the harddrive but did not find a bootable filesystem.
After a phonecall and a second reboot it surpricely booted up, but got stuck with a corrupt filesystem.

This time I will not do a fsck -y... The disc is still readable and all files seems to be there.
I've bought new discs and at the momet files is being copied... I beg to god that this will work :)

//Andreas