Re: Firewall: Please Advise

>After playing with 2.4 kernels I have returned to a 2.2 kernel for my
>firewall machine. IPChains works. IPTables are trash if you wish to do
>anything more than FTP and ICU forwarding. IPChains can forward real audio
>and some stuff like that. (There seems to be a new MoviePlayer protocol
>that some sites use that will not make it through. Leave it to Microsoft
>to develop a protocol you cannot hide safely behind a firewall and use.)

... for a teenaged home user, I could see streaming technology as being
important. For a real firewall, packet filters are supplemented by
application proxies, packet sniffers and a decent IDS regime. The two are
completely opposite.

BTW, I use streaming at home through iptables. But iptables is not
ipchains, and trying to configure it with the same mind-think as ipchains
will only frustrate you. Suggest that you quit looking at iptables as an
advanced form of ipchains and get to know it better in it's own space.
--
Keith Mastin       BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.
137 Laird Drive    Toronto    M4G 3V5     http://www.beechtree.ca