Re: RES: URGENT - errors on boot

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Brian T. Brunner wrote:

> Tony: Because I have a broken mailer (and I'm not alone)
> top posting is not an option: it's mandatory.
>
> OP: Many drive manufacturers write (and make available for free)
> utilities to test their drives.  Have you looked on the manuf's web page?
>
> (it might only run under windoz).

     Many drives, not just IBM and Hitachi ones, can be tested with the
software available on http://www.hgst.com/hdd/technolo/dft/dftnew.htm .
You put the software on a floppy, boot from the floppy, and follow the
directions that are then given you.  I've done this a couple times, but
by the time I'm desperate enough to do such tests, all it has shown me
is that the disk is indeed unusable.