Re: Form of linux backup server

> Our engineering department is in need of a backup system. They currently
> have multiple MSwindow$ servers. Is there a way that I can create on
> linux box to pull data from share and create nightly tape backups?
>
> If there is what type of software and hardware can I use? Is there any
> good documentation that anyone would recommend?

I put one of these together for a client a few months back with
information from one of the articles in the Linux Journal magazine. I
believe the article was published in December 2000.

An overview is a couple shell scripts on the linux box that uses smbmount
to determine and get the material to be backed up on a protected network.
It's fast to implement and test, it's lightweight  and inexpensive, and it
works...

HTH
--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.