[Vdo-devel] [BUG] Discard not working

Louis Imershein limershe at redhat.com
Sat Aug 11 01:17:30 UTC 2018

The main reason that VDO doesn't pass down discards directly is that it's
complex to do this with deduplication. One challenge is, when should a
logical discard be mapped to a physical one? A second one is how do you
amortize discards for good performance as your physical address space gets
fragmented.

VDO is very good at managing allocation in flash-friendly ways and if
you've got good dedupe rates the loss of performance won't be as bad as you
think, but as usual try it.

Discards at the physical layer are definitely an issue the team is
interested in eventually addressing.

As for the comments about VDO vs ZFS compression, I'd agree for large
sequential IOs, use your native filesystem compresdion. For small 4K random
IO, use VDO compression. Both have there uses for compressible data under
different workloads.

LOUIS IMERSHEIN

PRINCIPAL PRODUCT MANAGER, DATA REDUCTION TECHNOLOGIES

Red Hat

limershe at redhat.com
M: (+1)831-588-5971