[vfio-users] VM with vfio, host with radeon... DPM failure (amd r9 290)

Quentin Deldycke quentindeldycke at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 06:07:50 UTC 2015

Hi!

First my setup:

   - Intel 4790k with IGP used on linux
   - R9 290 driver bound to vfio at boot

I have 2 alias which i run on a screen (i made them short for better
understanding):

   - atihost: init 3 && sudo modprobe -r vfio && sudo modprobe radeon &&
   init 5
   - ativm: init 3 && sudo modprobe -r radeon && sudo modprobe vfio && init
   5

At boot:

   - If i start my windows 10 vm to use the graphic card, no problem it
   runs smoothly. I can repeat boot / unboot of vms without limits
   - If i use my atihost script, no problem, vfio is unloaded and radeon
   take control of the card. I can use DRI_PRIME without problems. (at least,
   not related to this bug)

The problem:

   - After i used a vm using vfio, the loading of radeon enter some
   problems: DPM is not working and acceleration is disabled.

The solution?

   - Seems windows let the graphic card in a boggus state. Is there any way
   to completely reset it?

(i will post dmesg when i will be back to this computer...)
--
Deldycke Quentin