[vfio-users] Hyperthreading and kvm

Blank Field ihatethisfield at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 18:32:05 UTC 2015

If you use gentoo - add the USE flag and emerge -N your qemu again. I can't
imagine problems with compilation harder than that(except if you're crazy
enough to run distcc on a heterogenous network to compile your QEMU, but
then you probably don't need all that virtualization stuff to keep yourself
busy).
Read the OVMF whitepaper already, please.
http://www.linux-kvm.org/downloads/lersek/ovmf-whitepaper-c770f8c.txt
> Notes about Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8:
>- QEMU should be started with the "-device qxl-vga,revision=4" option (or
a later revision, if available).

What it really does as Laszlo Ersek said a while ago:
Windows 7(and only seven and it's server counterpart!) is not 100% UEFI
compatible, it uses Video Bios Extension to render graphics after the
setup. The installation process uses GOP, the real system uses VBE. That's
why your install runs fine, and then a black screen comes, showing
absolutely nothing.
So there was a "shim" or a "stub" or whatever you call it, compatibility
layer added to OVMF and QEMU's QXL's Device Driver, making it emulate just
the needed parts of VBE for you to install the true QXL(or AMD/Nvidia GPU
in our case) drivers and forget about VBE forever.

Therefore, you do NOT need CSM for it to work, since we don't use VGA or
any legacy stuff we have in CSM, instead, we provide just a tiny shim.

Why you need it to be especially QXL? Because i remember only QXL patches.
If it works with Cirrus too - nice, it means it's patched too. My setup
works with QXL.