[vfio-users] Few issues on Ubuntu 15.10 VFIO

Eddie Yen missile0407 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 05:49:57 UTC 2015

Since the failure install newest QEMU and libvirt on 14.04, I'm tried
installing on 15.10 yesterday.
Using the package that from jacob's repository, and re-install QEMU again
by using QEMU git source.
Finally I can launched VM /w OVMF and GTX980 in Windows 10 guest.

But I got few issues.

1. The official kernel of Ubuntu 15.10 is 4.2.0-16-generic
I used to enable VFIO to get GPU controll by using CMDLINE and
/etc/initramfs.d/modules

CMDLINE_DEFAULT="intel_iommu=on vfio-pci.ids=XXXX:XXXX,XXXX:XXXX"
and add vfio vfio_pci vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_virqfd inti
/etc/initramfs.d/modules
then run update-initramfs and update-grub.

It works on 14.04, but when I try the same thing on 15.10, VFIO only got
HDMI control, GTX980 still controlled by nouveau.
I have to set blacklist on nouveau to let VFIO get fully control.

2. When I trying to install Windows 7 guest, I'm using OVMF to do initial
installation.
After installation, I deleted QXL and spice, then mount GTX980 into guest.
But it stuck at "Starting Windows" with logo came out, only freeze, no BSOD.

Then I checked XML profile and found that the machine-type is i440fx-2.5
I edited to i440fx-2.4 then boot again, now everything goes right.
Is that a problem on i440fx-2.5?

3. I still can't mount GPU to guest that firmware is using legacy BIOS.
I'll got BSOD with 0x3B error code after installed GPU driver with kvm=off
every time.
No matter the machine is 1440fx or Q35.
And it also happened on Fedora 22 host.

Both platform are installed QEMU got version because it included Hyper-V
patch.
Does anyone have idea? Or got same issue?

Many thanks,
Eddie.