Re: [vfio-users] USB enumeration (uPD720201)

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Brett Foster <fosterb edgeandvertex org> wrote:
Switched to a 2-port ASMedia controller and I was able to attach a hub out of the box. Yay! So the Renesas card is garbage.

Hmm, let me offer another data point; if I assign the onboard ASMedia USB3 controller to my VM, I often get hangs when OVMF enumerates attached devices and it's a crap shoot whether devices will work after a VM reboot.  On the other hand, my Renesas card works much more reliably.  However, I've also found that TI based USB3 chips work far more reliably than either of those for non-VM, bare metal use (no VM experience on those).  The early versions of the Renesas chips are pretty crappy, but I infer that newer ones are more well behaved.  Personally I'm not a fan of any ASMedia components and avoid them in my purchasing decisions.  Thanks,

Alex