Re: [vfio-users] USB enumeration (uPD720201)

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Okky Hendriansyah <okky nostratech com> wrote:
On December 4, 2015 at 04:12:00, Alex Williamson (alex l williamson gmail com) wrote:
Hmm, let me offer another data point; if I assign the onboard ASMedia USB3 controller to my VM, I often get hangs when OVMF enumerates attached devices and it's a crap shoot whether devices will work after a VM reboot.  On the other hand, my Renesas card works much more reliably.  However, I've also found that TI based USB3 chips work far more reliably than either of those for non-VM, bare metal use (no VM experience on those).  The early versions of the Renesas chips are pretty crappy, but I infer that newer ones are more well behaved.  Personally I'm not a fan of any ASMedia components and avoid them in my purchasing decisions.  Thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex,

I just noticed that Texas Instruments also makes USB 3.0 chipset. Are you referring to TUSB7340 like this [1]. The new item price listed almost as twice as Renesas’ :D

[1] http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-port-USB-3-1-3-0-USB3-1-USB3-0-GEN-1-5G-celi-connector-PCI-Express-PCIe-Card-/252193889668?hash=item3ab7ed5d84:g:qVUAAOSwAYtWKfMb

YMMV, but this is the controller I've found to run most stable on bare metal for me:

http://www.siig.com/dp-usb-3-0-4-port-pcie-i-e.html

xx:xx.x USB controller [0c03]: Texas Instruments TUSB73x0 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 xHCI Host Controller [104c:8241] (rev 02) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])

If it makes a purchasing decision for you, I can try to put it into a configuration where I can assign it.  BTW, funny how folks are dropping 400USD+ on graphics cards, but question an extra 15USD for a USB HBA that doesn't suck.  ;^)