[vfio-users] USB passthrough failing on ovmf

Doug Applegate doug.applegate at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 13:30:46 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:21 PM, Mark Weiman <mark.weiman at markzz.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 22:21 -0700, Doug Applegate wrote:
>> Hey, just recently got a setup where I'm doing GPU passthrough using
>> OVFM and Windows 10. Many thanks to Alex and his blog :)
>>
>> I have a few little 'quirks' that are annoying that I'd like to
>> resolve and hoping that maybe someone had similar issues knows how to
>> fix it.
>>
>> I've got my Windows 10 guest set up and configure USB passthrough for
>> my mouse and keyboard. However, I can never seem to get it to pass
>> through on guest startup.  It seems that it works when it first
>> starts
>> to boot, but then it'll lose it as soon as windows boots.  I have to
>> remove the USB device and re-add it through virt-manager to get it
>> working again.  Is there a good way to fix this?  I'm using Fedora 23
>> host and selinux is set to permissive.
>>
>> Here's my XML config:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

> I'm having similar issues with USB passthrough, I also hae issues then
> adding the device with usb_add in QEMU Monitor where the device
> connects and reconnects over and over.
>
> Mark Weiman

I've separated the usb passthrough into separate scripts like this:

and passthrough using
<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
  <source>
    <vendor id='0x045e'/>
    <product id='0x00db'/>
  </source>
</hostdev>

and then passing it through using
virsh attach-device doug-win /home/doug/keyboard.xml

However, even that's not 100% since I'll often lose mouse/keyboard or
both when I switch from DVI to HDMI.

here's the rest of my config:
http://pastebin.com/u5EF2Cwj

virsh --version
1.2.18.1

QEMU emulator version 2.4.1 (qemu-2.4.1-1.fc23)