[vfio-users] 1 GB hugepages cause host crash on guest shutdown with some GPUs

Okky Hendriansyah okky at nostratech.com
Fri Dec 11 10:20:24 UTC 2015

On December 9, 2015 at 04:50:18, Hristo Iliev (hristo at hiliev.eu) wrote:
With linux-vfio-lts I can reboot the host at any time and the VM always
boots ok afterwards, even if the host was running linux-lts and the VM was
hanging before the reboot. So, a more complete version of the above scenario
looks like this:
I just performed a series of experiments and the latter scenario repeats
100% reliably. Both linux-vfio-lts and linux-lts are based on the 4.1.13
kernel. The VM is 64-bit Windows 10.
As far as I know, the differences between linux-lts and linux-vfio-lts package are (I hope Dan can confirm this?):

1. Intel HD VGA Arbitration patch and PCIe ACS Override patch

2. config and config.x86_64 files

Probably there’re some kernel config in linux-lts that made the OVMF hang in your setup?

I've noticed that whenever the VM hangs, qemu spits seven times the
following:

ehci: PERIODIC list base register set while periodic schedule
is enabled and HC is enabled
What happens if you do not passthrough any host USB. If you have one, try passing through a whole USB PCIe Controller?

That's exactly what I'm doing - answering positively to the question
whether it should build the three packages at once. Despite that, it still
wants to build the headers package again afterwards, regardless of the
fact that linux-vfio-lts-headers was created and installed during the
previous step.
Another alternative is to use Mark Weimann’s repository [1] to install a precompiled version of linux-vfio and linux-vfio-lts kernel package.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unofficial_user_repositories#markzz

--
Okky Hendriansyah