Re: [vfio-users] OVMF + OS X El Capitan + 970 gtx passthrough = Success

> Interestingly enough, once I had installed over the original disk using
> the OSX installer, it turned out all of my data was kept, applications
> and everything, and even better, I was on 10.11.1!
>
> So running the installer over your original install essentially
> downgrades OSX. Pretty neat!

This is a known thing about OSX, at least from those who have broken the
OS enough to require a reinstallation. It is not exclusive of 10.11, but
works as well with any version. Clearly, the data, preferences and
similar of system apps that are version-specific cannot be downgraded,
but the data itself is retained across installs unless the driver is
explicitly reinitialized trough Disk Utility. Note that the recovery
partition won't be downgraded, however.