Re: [vfio-users] Arch linux-vfio 4.3 testing

On November 24, 2015 at 04:30:37, Dan Ziemba (zman0900 gmail com) wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-11-21 at 15:32 -0500, Dan Ziemba wrote:
> > Do you use OVMF for your guest?  There is a known problem with that
> > with kernels newer than 4.1.  I have been experimenting with a
> > patch
> > that is going into 4.4 and I at least got some different behavior
> > where
> > the guest will get to the windows booting screen and eventually
> > start
> > showing the spinner in slow motion, but never actually boots.  I
> > actually left it on all night last night and it just sat there with
> > vcpu0 pegged at 100% but never finished booting.
> >
> > Patch I am referring to:
> > http://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm/msg123351.html
> >
> > Maybe it will at least work for someone else?  Patch against my
> > PKGBUILD is attached.
> >
> > Dan
I also tried out 4.4 rc1 and got basically the same results as 4.3 with
the patch.  Diff is attached - based of the previous 3 patches being
applied.

Hi Dan,

I recently just upgraded my rig platform from Haswell (Intel Core i7-4770 + ASRock Z87 Extreme6) to Haswell-E (Intel Core i7-5820K + ASUS X99-A). I was just using the exact kernel package files from my previous rig (actually I was using the very same installation), but I can’t managed to get passthrough the Windows boot screen (well, I can after like 10-20 minutes or so). The slow boot issue came back! This is weird, since I had success using the obey patch you refer previously on my Haswell build. Could it be there’re something difference between the platform?

--
Okky Hendriansyah