Re: [vfio-users] USB passthrough failing on ovmf

I'm guessing this is hardware specific, and I have no useful information to add. I pass through a USB mouse, and it works very smoothly.

"Works for me" isn't really helpful so .. the reason I'm responding is that I used to pass through a USB headset, and it would work, but the audio would be crackly (not bad, but ultimately I decided I needed clear sound). I fixed this by getting a PCI USB card ($10 for a new 4-port USB 3.0 card on eBay), and passing the whole PCI card through to the guest. Perhaps, if your issue IS hardware specific, you could also get a PCI USB card, connect your mouse to the new PCI card, and still pass through just the USB mouse to the guest. It's a fairly inexpensive thing to try.

Will

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 6:30 AM, Doug Applegate <doug applegate gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:21 PM, Mark Weiman <mark weiman markzz com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 22:21 -0700, Doug Applegate wrote:
>> Hey, just recently got a setup where I'm doing GPU passthrough using
>> OVFM and Windows 10. Many thanks to Alex and his blog :)
>>
>> I have a few little 'quirks' that are annoying that I'd like to
>> resolve and hoping that maybe someone had similar issues knows how to
>> fix it.
>>
>> I've got my Windows 10 guest set up and configure USB passthrough for
>> my mouse and keyboard. However, I can never seem to get it to pass
>> through on guest startup.  It seems that it works when it first
>> starts
>> to boot, but then it'll lose it as soon as windows boots.  I have to
>> remove the USB device and re-add it through virt-manager to get it
>> working again.  Is there a good way to fix this?  I'm using Fedora 23
>> host and selinux is set to permissive.
>>
>> Here's my XML config:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

> I'm having similar issues with USB passthrough, I also hae issues then
> adding the device with usb_add in QEMU Monitor where the device
> connects and reconnects over and over.
>
> Mark Weiman

I've separated the usb passthrough into separate scripts like this:

and passthrough using
<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
  <source>
    <vendor id='0x045e'/>
    <product id='0x00db'/>
  </source>
</hostdev>

and then passing it through using
virsh attach-device doug-win /home/doug/keyboard.xml

However, even that's not 100% since I'll often lose mouse/keyboard or
both when I switch from DVI to HDMI.

here's the rest of my config:
http://pastebin.com/u5EF2Cwj

virsh --version
1.2.18.1

QEMU emulator version 2.4.1 (qemu-2.4.1-1.fc23)